About Me

My photo
Anywhere with WiFi, TriState, United States
heels, makeup, and cheesecake please.

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

An answer






























Currently reading: Irresistible Revolution
Shane Claiborne is such a witty and down to earth writer. I love authors who's prose is more like dialogue between the writer and the audience. And his crazy little footnotes are such a great way to ground some of the concepts.

I really relate to the early chapters wherein he talks about Christianity being commercialized. I remember watching Real Housewives of New York and one of the rich male breadwinners attributing his riches to selling Christian jewelry. And the worst part was realizing that I was part of this vicious cycle of making christianity fashionable. I bought the shirts. I shopped for promise rings. I accumulated so much stuff to constantly remind myself I was Christian.

The ensuing chapter talks about a leper colony with which he stays. He says that while the poor suffer physically from leprosy and lack sensation in their bodies, the rich suffer from a more serious condition, emotional apathy in their hearts and actions.
After reading the Calcutta section, I felt extremely convicted. When we ask God why he let's poverty, war, and disease to cripple his people, we must be prepared to be asked the same question. And when He asks, I have no answer. Laziness, Fear, Apathy? I don't know.

And to think today I was upset over having an outdated phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment