About Me

My photo
Anywhere with WiFi, TriState, United States
heels, makeup, and cheesecake please.

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Parent trap

It's really hard to remember that our parents have emotions, thoughts and dreams that don't necessarily involve us. It's too easy to assume that once a parent you abandon any and everything that doesn't revolve around your kids. I hate seeing my parents compromising between what they want and what they should do. It's not like you can divorce your children. I'm really lucky to have the parents that I have. No, they don't spoil me. Nor are they perfect. But, they do their best. They feed me. They care.They don't hit me. That sort of thing. Some people get kicked out of their house or get cut off at 18, but here I am still around--college being (or atleast partly) paid off. Some people have crazy crack addict or incarcerated parents. Mine are just a little strict. Maybe I should appreciate them more. But it's so hard when what they believe conflicts so much with my ideals. I used to think it was an American thing to deviate from the values of one's parents. But it's completely normal and universal. Things change..everywhere. Even if I never moved to America, we would still have these dumb fights about things that don't matter. Sure my family's dysfunctional but when it counts we're there for eachother...and I love that about us.


I have to try to be more understanding. It's hard to keep reminding myself of that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment